STICKY DATE PUDDING WITH CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1 ½ cups dried pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 90 g butter, at room temperature, plus 90 g extra
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- ⅔ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup cream
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
Grease and line a 20 cm (base diameter) round cake pan with baking paper.
Place dates in a small saucepan with 1 cup water; bring to the boil.
Stir in soda.
Remove from heat; stand for 10 minutes.
Using an electric mixer, beat butter, caster sugar and 1 teaspoon of essence in a medium bowl until pale and creamy.
Beat in eggs, one by one, until combined.
Add flour and date mixture, beating until combined.
Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth surface.
Bake pudding for 35 – 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean.
Stand pudding in pan for 5 minutes; turn out onto a large serving plate.
Combine extra butter, brown sugar, cream and remaining essence in a small saucepan.
Stir over low heat until well combined and smooth. Cut pudding into wedges.
Drizzle with caramel sauce.
Serve pudding with ice-cream.
Recipe posted by Dalal Al Boush