CREAMY SMOKED MUSSEL SEAFOOD CASSEROLE
- 4 – 6 fish fillets of your choice (I used monkfish and salmon but hake will work perfectly)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ml olive oil
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ small tomato, chopped
- 75 g cooked prawns, optional
- 125 ml cream
- seasoning of your choice (I used lemon and herb and fish seasoning)
- 1 can smoked mussels, drained
- squirt of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Place the raw fish fillets in an oiled or sprayed oven proof dish (mine is 15 x 10 x 8 cm).
Heat the oil in a pan on the stove and fry the onion until translucent.
Add the garlic and tomato and fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
Add the prawns, cream and seasonings and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the mussels and stir, remove the pan from the heat and add a squirt of lemon juice to the mixture.
Stir well and add more seasoning to taste, if needed.
Pour the sauce on top of the fish, sprinkle with the Parmesan and bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC for 15 – 20 minutes or until the fish is just cooked.
Serve with lemon wedges, turmeric cauli rice and a green salad.
Recipe and photo: Ilze Jacobs