SAVOURY MUFFINS WITH SPINACH
- 420 g/750 ml cake flour
- 20 ml baking powder
- 5 ml salt
- 2,5 ml garlic and herb seasoning
- 2,5 ml dried mixed herbs
- 100 ml finely chopped spring onions
- 6 chicken viennas, cut into thin rings
- 150 ml of cooked spinach, chopped up
- 4 gherkins, chopped onto small bits
- 250 g grated Cheddar cheese
- 300 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml sunflower oil or melted butter or margarine
- smoked paprika and cayenne pepper, sprinkle over the top before baking
I prefer to use paper cups sprayed with non stick but you can just spray the muffin tins very well. Preheat oven to 200°C.
Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir until evenly combined. Beat together the milk, eggs and oil and add to the dry ingredients. Stir only until everything is combined and no dry flour visible.
Divide between the greased muffin cups or paper cups and bake for 10 minutes at 200°C then reduce the temperature to 180°C and bake another 10 – 12 minutes until golden brown and firm.
Cool for a few minutes in the tins, loosen, lift out and allow to cool on wire rack.
Serve warm with butter.
They freeze perfectly. Thaw and reheat at 160°C.
Photo and recipe: Elsabie Templeton