Ons is gek oor Indiese kos, maar bestel dit nie maklik in ‘n restaurant nie, want dit kan baie droog wees. Hierdie is ‘n heerlike klam, geurige biryani.
- 10 pieces of cubed chicken
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped into thin slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 cardamom pods
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- some curry leaves (handful)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of biryani masala
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons of garam masala
- 1 cup of semi cooked lentils (I used half of a tin black lentils)
- 2 cups par boiled basmati rice
- some fresh coriander
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
Heat the oil and butter, add your onions and whole spices, Fry onions until brown.
Add your chicken and remaining spices and salt and cook and stir for a few minutes adding a dash of water to prevent spices from burning.
Add potatoes and cook till chicken is cooked and potatoes al dente.
Next add your rice and lentils and steam with the lid on, medium heat until rice is cooked.
When rice is cooked, carefully mix with chicken and potato mix. (Slowly lift and mix gently till combined).
Next add coriander and enjoy!
Recipe: Amanda Conradie
Photo: Elize de Kock