CARROT CAKE WITH COOKED CARROTS
Make 3 x 20 cm cakes
- 3 cups, sifted then measured cake flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1½ cups oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups chopped pecans / walnuts
- 1½ cups shredded coconut
- 1⅓ cups pureed carrot (700 g raw carrots, cooked)
- ¾ cup crushed pineapple, drained
Cook carrots until soft and puree. Measure the needed 1⅓ cups and set aside.
Mix dry ingredients together. Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well scraping down sides. Fold in pureed carrot, pineapple, coconut and nuts. Divide batter into 3 x 20 cm pans that have been lined and greased.
Bake for about 35 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. It may need a few more minutes depending on your oven. Just don’t leave in too long.
Cool cakes in the pans for 10 min before turning out and allowing to cool completely before frosting.
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting: (Can be doubled if needed)
- 230 g room temperature cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons room temperature butter
- ± 600 g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice of half a lemon, optional
Decorate as desired.