“Maak die pasteie oor drie dae. Wildspasteivulsel klaargemaak. Môre begin ek die pasteie bou. My eie opgemaakte resep.”
- 3 kg venison (I used blouwildebees)
- 1½ kg pork neck
- 3 onions, chopped
- oil, for frying
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 3 bottles windhoek lite beer
- ½ litre dry red wine
- garlic, salt and pepper, to taste
- any other spices you would like to add
- 1 sachet tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 potatoes – cut into small blocks
- 1 packet brown onion soup
- water, to cover the meat
- shop bough puff pastry, amount according to need
Boil the meat chunks in the beer and wine for approximately 1½ hours. Add the salt, pepper and spices to taste. Let the meat rest in the closed pot until day two.
Shred all the meat and keep it separate. Finely chop the onions and fry it in the oil and the meaty juices. Grate the carrots and add to the onions. Add the garlic, tomato paste, curry powder and meat and mix together. Add water until it covers the mixture, Add the potatoes and let the mixture boil until the potatoes are soft. Add the brown soup powder to 300 ml water, mix and add to the pot. Cook for five minutes and then leave to cool overnight.
Day 3 :
Build the pies using shop bought puff pastry. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C until it is light brown at the top (± 35 – 45 minutes).
Recipe and photos: Sonja van Tonder