TROPICAL CHICKEN WITH LIME AND CORIANDER COUSCOUS
- 1 whole chicken, or pieces on the bone
- 2 onions, chopped
- ½ pineapple, chopped up in chunks
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger grated (approx 10 ml)
- 250 ml Pina Colada (pineapple and coconut flavoured) wine cooler
- 10 ml Chinese 5 spice mix
- 5 ml turmeric
- big pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 2,5 ml sumac
- 30 ml red wine vinegar
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 20 ml corn starch mixed in about 50 ml water
- 250 ml dry flavoured couscous made as per packet instructions with hot chicken stock instead of hot water
Fry onions in oil in pressure cooker for a few minutes. Add the chicken and fry all over. Add the pineapple, ginger, spices and the Pina Colada. Allow for cook on high heat for a few minutes to reduce the liquid a bit.
Add the red wine vinegar and chicken stock and steam under pressure for 25 minutes.
Allow the pressure to be released. Remove the chicken carefully and place in a plate to be cut into pieces.
Stir the corn starch into the liquid in the pot and allow to thicken up a bit.
Serve with the flavoured couscous.
Recipe and photo: Elsabie Templeton