SWEET AND SOUR PORK WITH NOODLES
Hierdie vark blokkies is lekker krakerig sonder ‘n degie. Daar is ‘n byt van die groen rissie en die gemmer wat aangenaam is sonder om jou mond en keel te verbrand. Verwyder net die rissie pitte as jy minder hitte wil hê.
- 600 g pork, cut into cubes and coated in corn starch (maizena)
- 2 bunches of pak choi leaves, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- red and green pepper sliced
- 2 green chillies, chopped (remove seeds if you don’t want it too hot)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly
- 1 tin pineapple pieces (drained and liquid reserved for the sauce)
- spring onion for garnish
- 250 g egg noodles
- liquid from tinned pineapple
- 1 cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 150 ml water
- 50 ml vinegar
- 30 ml brown sugar
- 30 ml tomato sauce
- 45 ml corn starch
Fry the pork cubes in hot sunflower oil for a few minutes until golden brown, remove from oil with slotted spoon and keep aside.
In a wok or frying pan pour a bit of oil and fry the onion first for a few minutes before adding the rest of veggies. Stir fry over high heat. Veggies must still be crunchy so don’t overcook them.
While the veggies fry, cook the noodles as per instructions on packet, rinse under cold water, drain and add to the veggies.
Mix all the sauce ingredients in a glass measuring cup and cook in microwave until transparent and thickened.
Serve the noodles and veggies with the sweet and sour sauce and garnish with sliced spring onin
Recipe and photo: Elsabie Templeton