SLOW COOKED LAMB SHOULDER
Lockdown day #374 Slow cooked lamb shoulder, sticky rice with gravy, cauliflower with cheese sauce, greenbeans and sweet potatoes with butter, honey and ginger. Easter Sunday Boerekos lunch.
Lamb was in marinade overnight and put into slow cooker for 7 hours on High in the marinade. Gravy was made from the liquid in the slow cooker. Just thickened slightly with a bit of cornstarch stirred into water.
- 2 kg lamb shoulder, use sharp knife to make deep incisions into the meat so that the marinade can penetrate.
- 3 onions, each sliced into 3 thick discs
- For the marinade:
- 1 shallot, halved
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 2 anchovies (you can use a flat teaspoon of anchovy paste)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
- ½ teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons rosemary leaves
- 1 thyme sprig, leaves picked
- small bunch mint leaves, chopped
- 70 ml white wine
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- zest and juice 1 lemon (I used half a preserved lemon plus fresh juice)
Place meat in a suitable container and pour the marinade over. Turn the meat over once or twice during this process.
Switch slow cooker on to High, put the onion slices on the bottom of the inner pot and put the lamb shoulder on top. Pour the marinade over, put lid on and let it cook for the next 6 to 7 hours.
The lamb is juicy and soft cooking it this way.
Recipe and photo’s : Elsabie Templeton