- 4 cups flour (all purpose, bread, whole wheat or a mixture- be creative)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 ⅓ cup whole milk
- salt crystals for sprinkling
- 1 egg yolk + 1 tablespoon water OR
- 1 egg white + 1 tablespoon water, beaten together for egg wash
Mix together the flour, baking powder, and butter.
If you are adding seasonings mix those in with the dry ingredients.
Cut butter into flour mixture until it forms coarse crumbs.
Add the milk and knead to form a ball.
Divide in 4 parts and roll out paper thin on a floured surface.
The thinner they are the crisper they will be.
Cut the dough into squares (a pizza wheel works great for that) or use a cookie cutter.
Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and prick all over with a fork.
Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with salt (or cracked pepper, or…)
Bake at 180ºC until golden brown, about 15 – 20 minutes. (check after 10 minutes)
Recipe posted by Nicolien de Waal
Photo: Nicolien de Waal