QUICK CARAMILISED ONION AND GOAT’S CHEESE TART
- 200 g (7 oz) ready-made shortcrust pastry, plus flour for dusting
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions and 1 medium white onion, all finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light muscovado sugar
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves, finely chopped
- 50 g (2o z) goat’s cheese, roughly chopped
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) double cream
Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan) gas mark 6.
Roll out pastry on a flour-dusted work surface to the thickness of a £1 coin. Use to line a 20.5 cm (8 in) diameter, 2.5 cm (1 in) deep fluted quiche tin and prick base with a fork. Cover pastry with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and cook for 10-12min until pastry is set. Remove beans and paper, then cook pastry for a further 10min until base feels sandy to the touch. Take out of oven and set aside. Turn oven down to 150°C (130°C fan) gas mark 2.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan. Add the onions and fry gently for 10 min. Turn up the heat, add the vinegar and sugar and cook for 10 min, stirring, until onions are golden. Add a little water if the pan dries out. Stir in most of the oregano.
Spoon onion mix into the pastry case and dot cheese on top. Lightly beat eggs and cream in a small bowl with some seasoning. Pour over the onions, then use a fork to lift some onions to the surface. Sprinkle over remaining oregano, then cook for 30 min until just set.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe posted and photo: Melissa Ann Vermeulen