QUESADILLAS WITH SPICY MINCE AND GUACAMOLE
Quesadillas with spicy mince and cheese, creme fraîche and guacamole. Delicious and very filling due to the beans that’s traditional in the mince. Low GI food.
- 500 g lean mince
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped or grated
- spices to taste, I used smoked paprika, chipotle, sriracha
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin beans of choice (butter beans, black beans, baked beans, chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons chopped peppadews
- 3 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 12 tortillas (will make 6 quesadillas)
- creme fraîche or soured cream
- guacamole (or 3 avos mashed with lemon juice and salt added)
Fry the onions, garlic and mince, stirring until the mince is loose and crumbly.
Add the spices and salt to taste. Add the tomato, peppadew and beans and simmer until the watery liquid has cooked away.
Keep the mince on hand while placing the first tortilla on a plate. Spoon a sixth of the mixture on top of the tortilla and spread over the whole surface. Sprinkle half a cup of cheese over and place a second tortilla on top.
Careful slip the tortilla into a hot pan with a drizzle of oil spread over the surface. Fry for a minute or two then slip an egg lifter under the tortilla and put onto a plate.
Place a second plate upside down on top, holding both plates firmly together turn it over.
Now slip the tortilla into the pan so that the other side can fry for a minute or two.
When golden brown put onto a cutting board and using a pizza wheel cut the quesadilla into quarters and serve with the creme fraiche and guacamole.
Repeat the process with the other tortillas.
Photo and recipe: Elsabie Templeton