- ½ cup/1 stick/113 g butter, melted and slightly cooled, plus more for baking dish
- 1 cup/225 g sugar
- 1 ½ cups/190 g all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups/1 pound/454 g pawpaw pulp, thawed if frozen (see note)
- 1 ½ cups/355 ml whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- lightly sweetened whipped cream, for serving
Heat oven to 180°C. Grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
In another large bowl, whisk together eggs and pawpaw pulp until smooth. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Whisk in melted butter. Pour into sugar mixture and stir only until combined.
Pour batter into prepared dish. Bake 50 minutes or until just set in the center. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack before cutting.
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
Recipe and photo: Marian van Deventer