MAURICIA’S BUTTERNUT AND SWEET POTATO THAI RED CURRY
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) cooking oil
- 8 chicken pieces, cut into bite size portions
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) garlic, minced
- 1 large butternut, thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 large sweet potatoes, thinly sliced into half moons
- ½ red onion, quartered
- 1 large brown onion, diced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 250 ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) thai fish sauce
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) soy sauce
- 5 ml (1 teaspoon) sugar
- 4 lime leaves
- 15 ml (1 tablespoon) lime juice (optional)
- 1 x 400 ml canned coconut milk
- 30 ml (2 tablespoons) thai red curry paste
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Place the butternut, sweet potatoes and red onion on a lightly greased baking tray and drizzle with olive oil.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until just tender and remove from the oven.
Heat the cooking oil in a large wok on high.
Add the brown onion and fry till golden brown.
Now add the chicken and garlic.
Fry until the chicken is lightly browned, then add the red curry paste, making sure to coat the chicken well.
Add the chicken stock, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime leaves and lime juice (optional).
Now add the butternut and sweet potatoes, followed by the coconut milk and coat well
Lastly, add the boiling water.
Cook and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes or until cooked.
On a bed of fragrant jasmine rice
Also great served with rice noodles to soak up all that fragrant sauce
With coriander, lemon wedges and a stalk of lemongrass
Recipe and photo: Mauricia Jordaan