HEARTY FISH CHOWDER
- 4 slice(s) centre-cut bacon
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 medium (13-ounce) celery root, peeled and chopped
- 1 large (12-ounce) potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 small (4 to 6 ounces each) onions, chopped
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 tin clams (reserve liquid)1 cup of the reserved clam liquid
- 1/2 cup(s) water500 g skinless cod fillets, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-fat (2%) milkSaltPepperFresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, for garnish
In 5 litre sauce pot, cook bacon on medium 5 to 7 minutes or until browned and crisp, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels; set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat.
While bacon cooks, in large microwave-safe bowl, combine carrot, celery root, potato, and 2 tablespoons water. Cover with vented plastic wrap and microwave on High 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender.
Keep sauce pot with rendered bacon fat on medium. Add onion and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add carrot mixture and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
Add flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring. Add clam liquid and water and whisk until smooth. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Add cod chunks and peas, cover, and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until fish just turns opaque throughout.
Stir in milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and clams.
Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until hot but not boiling.
Crumble reserved bacon.
Spoon chowder into shallow bowls; garnish with parsley and bacon.
Recipe posted by Elize de Kock
Photo: Elize de Kock