- 1 bag of kritharaki (pasta) (I used pearl couscous 500 g)
- 1 kg of beef, cut into cubes (stew)
- 1 cup Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon rigani (oregano)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 glass of red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- grated cheese
- 1 teaspoon of stifado spice mix for extra delicious flavor
Put the olive oil in a large pan and brown the beef all over. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the meat. Add the chopped onion and the garlic, let it fry gently. Add the wine and the diced tomatoes. Add the spices, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and sugar. Let the meat simmer gently for about three hours.
Put the pasta kritharaki in an oven dish or in several small oven dishes. Spoon the meat and sauce on top of the pasta. Mix it together.
Add at least 1 liter of boiling hot water and put it in the oven at 180 ºC. After 15 minutes look and stir and if necessary add some hot water.
Divide the grated cheese generously over the dish(s).
Place the dish gently in the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes until the kritharakia are tender.
Delicious with a Greek salad
Recipe and photo: Annet Geelhoed