ELIZE’S COPYCAT NANDOS PERI PERI CHICKEN
Flame grilled, in the oven. Peri peri hot at it’s best.
- 1 whole, free range chicken; washed, drained, dried and spatchcocked or cut into half or quarters
- 6 green chilli’s deseeded and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons peri peri powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Portuguese chicken spice
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons brown vinegar
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Blend all ingredients together with a stick blender. The colour will change from a light cream to a light orange.
Pour marinade over the chicken and coat well, let marinade overnight or at least 3 hours in fridge.
Place onto a wire rack in a deep tray and place into a hot oven at 200°C for 40 – 45 minutes.
Baste every 15 minutes, this will give you a great glistening skin with char marks.
I used a 1 kg chicken and after 30 min it was done, allowed then for resting and it was perfect.
Remove and rest for 15 minutes. Cut into portions. Drizzle with lime or lemon juice.
Serve with Portuguese rice, corn or any side dish you wish. A crispy buttered roll was good enough for us.
Recipe and Photo: Elize de Kock