ELIZE’S BEEF SPRING ROLLS
Crispy, crunchy and super light! You can fill your spring rolls with anything you like and go even further… fill them with banana and cinnamon sugar as a desert if you like. 👌
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 1 small green pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 cup of cabbage, cut into julienne strips
- 250 g beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1.5 cm root ginger, grated
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- salt and pepper
Fry onion, garlic and ginger in a saucepan until translucent, add meat and spices fry until brown. Add soy sauce and sesame oil and stir through, when done allow to cool.
To simplify the process, lay out all the ingredients you need to make the rolls near your work surface before you begin.
Take spring roll pastry sheets out of packet, 2 at a time, to prevent them from drying out. Cover remaining sheets with a damp cloth to prevent from drying out.
Center ingredients in the bottom third of the wrapper, leaving a 1-inch border on either end.
Fold the wrapper over the filling.
Start rolling into a tight cylinder.
Stop rolling about halfway to fold in both sides.
Continue rolling until the spring roll is a tight cylinder.
Paint end of pastry with flour paste to stick to prevent from unfolding when frying.
Assemble the remaining spring rolls the same way. Keep the finished rolls covered with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.
Fry spring rolls till golden in oil.
Serve with Sweet Chilli Sauce or Soy/Sesame Dipping Sauce.
SOY/SESAME DIPPING SAUCE
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ½ cup Rice wine vinegar (substitute with ¼ vodka and ¼ Apple cider vinegar)
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
- 2 garlic gloves, peeled and chopped very finely
- 5 cm fresh ginger, peeled and chopped very finely
In a small screw top jar, mix all ingredients and shake.
Recipe and photo: Elize de Kock