EASY PICKLED FISH
- 1 kg firm white fish (kingklip or hake), whole or cut into portions
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove
- minced thumb-sized piece fresh ginger, grated
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 5 ml whole coriander seeds, crushed
- 5 ml garam masala
- 10 ml ground turmeric
- 15 ml curry powder
- 5 ml salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 300 ml water
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions for about 10 minutes until soft and translucent.
Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Now add all the spices and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Add the salt, sugar, bay leaves, vinegar and water. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Place the fish carefully in the pan and spoon the sauce over the fillet. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until cooked through.
Lift the fish carefully from the pan with a fish slice and place in a non-metallic dish.
Transfer the sauce to a processor and blitz until smooth. Pour the sauce over the fish and cover with cling film.
Chill for 2-3 days.
Recipe posted by Lesdee Gloak Bam
Photo: Lesdee Gloak Bam