CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
Very easy, very tasty.
- 4 chicken fillets, sliced and cut into small cubes
- 3 extra fine noodle nests (lokshen)
- 1 liter hot chicken stock
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into small cubes
- 2 baby broccoli stems, cut into thin slices
- 4 tablespoons of corn kernels
- 2 black garlic cloves, sliced up
- good pinch of chilli flakes or sliced fresh chilli
To thicken the soup slightly make a slurry with half a cup of water and about 60 ml cornstarch. In a little bit of oil, fry the veggies and chilli for 5 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes allowing the vegetables to soften.
Add the chicken and noodle nests and allow to cook about 5 minutes as that is all it’s going to need. Add the cornstarch slurry and stir until its thickened up a bit.
Serve with crusty bread.
*Black garlic is fermented, aged white garlic. The strong pungent smell of white garlic had been removed. The cloves are soft and jelly like with a strong balsamic molasses flavour. It peels easily and can be eaten directly from the bulb. Perfect for pastas, risottos, meat and fish stews and potjies.
Recipe and Photo: Elsabie Templeton