CHEESY MUSHROOM POPPERS
- 1 pack button or cremini mushrooms, stems removed and reserved
- 3 tablespoons salmon cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ cup cake flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- To serve:
- hot sauce of your choice to taste
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing to taste
Chop the mushroom stems, mix with the cheeses and jalapeno and stuff the mixture into the mushroom caps rounding the filling off so that it and the mushroom form a complete and smooth ball (about 1 teaspoon per mushroom).
Dredge the mushrooms in flour, coat in egg followed by the breadcrumbs mixed with the paprika.
Heat enough oil to cover the mushrooms in a large pan over medium-high heat and cook the them until golden brown, about 2 – 3 minutes per side, before setting aside on paper towels to drain.
Enjoy with hot sauce and ranch dressing or a sauce you prefer.
Use any cream cheese of your choice
Ek het ‘n eetlepel gerookte paprika by die broodkrummels gevoeg en ek het ‘n gerookte salm roomkaas gebruik en in plaas van jalapeno peppers het ek ‘n halwe teelepel chillie flakes gebruik.
Photo: Gideon Louw