CARROT AND BEETROOT CAKE WITH CARAMEL CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 3 free-range eggs
- 300 g (375 ml) sugar
- 175 ml sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 60 ml hot water
- 250 g (500 ml) cake flour
- 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) 15 ml baking powder
- pinch of salt (1 ml)
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 200 g (500 ml) finely grated carrot
- 100 g (250 ml) finely grated beetroot
- 50 g (125 ml) coarsely chopped walnuts or pecan nuts (plus a handful of extra for decorating)
- 100 g butter
- 100 g Muscavado (dark brown) sugar
- 80 ml (1/3 of a cup) dulce de leche, caramel treat, ready-made caramel
- 240 g cream cheese
Preheat oven to 180°C / 350°F and grease or spray a 23 cm ring cake pan.
Separate eggs and put egg yolks in food processor or electric mixing bowl with sugar, water, vanilla and oil. Mix until combined.
Sift flour, baking powder and spices over the bowl and mix / process until smooth.
In a separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff.
By hand stir beet, carrot and nuts through the mix, and gently fold through the egg whites.
Fill cake pan and bake for 40 – 50 minutes until the cake has turned brown, is firm to the touch and when sharp knife comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool in tin and make the frosting.
To make the frosting:
Beat sugar, butter and caramel until pale and fluffy. Add cream cheese and continue beating until mixture is smooth and sugar granules have worked out.
Spread a thick layer all over cake and decorate with a few extra chopped nuts.
Recipe posted by Emmerentia Human
Photo: Emmerentia Human