BUTTER MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH SYRUP
Dêm lekker, kan dit amper vir poeding eet!
- 1 kg (2 lbs) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 10 stalks fresh rosemary (or thyme)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons golden syrup (or maple syrup)
- 5 tablespoons butter room temperature, melted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup whipping or heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, finely chopped (or thyme)
Steam the sweet potato with the fresh rosemary until a knife can easily be inserted.
Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes, uncovered, allowing excess moisture to evaporate.
Place the steamed sweet potatoes, butter and cream in a large bowl then mash until smooth.
Add the baking powder and mix through.
Season to taste with the syrup, salt, pepper and orange juice and lastly add the chopped rosemary.
Recipe tested and photo by Stef Conradie