- Hamburger Buns ( I use the bread machine to do all the kneading for this recipe):
- 1 ⅓ cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 3 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tablespoon bread machine or instant yeast
Let rise for 15 minutes.
- Burger Patties:
- 1 kg beef mince
- 500 g pork mince
- 1 onion, finely grated
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 slice of white bread, soaked in milk
- breadcrumbs – approximately 125 ml but, you will also see if you need more or less for yourself – the consistency should bind nicely together and not fall apart when you handle it or flatten it
- salt and pepper to taste (and whatever other spices you would like to add)
- 150 g grated cold butter
Mix everything together, form patties, and put them in the fridge to set for a minimum of 30 minutes.
You can cook them like you want… braai, fry, grill – whatever works for you.
I use a spur basting sauce to baste while they go but, you can use anyone you like.
Recipes and photo: Carol-Ann Judd