BEEF LIVER AND ONIONS
- 1 kg beef liver, sliced 1 cm thick
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, sliced 5 mm slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Soak liver in cold salted water for 15 to 20 minutes.
In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned.
Sprinkle with salt. Keep warm.
In a shallow bowl, whisk together milk and eggs until well blended.
Place bread crumbs in separate shallow bowl.
Rinse liver under cool running water.
Pat dry with paper towels.
Dip into milk mixture, then into bread crumbs, coating evenly.
Leave in fridge for at least half an hour.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Add liver and cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
Top with onions.
Recipe and picture: Elize de Kock