BEEF CURRY WITH COCONUT RICE
- 2 beef porterhouse steaks, thinly sliced and fat remove
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 big potato, peeled and cut into small blocks
- ½ cup frozen beans
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 2 ½ tablespoons curry powder of your choice
- 1 teaspoon Bisto of your choice, mixed in half a cup of hot water and set aside
- 1 cup stock of your choice
- 180 ml coconut cream
- 1 cup rice, cooked and set aside
- salt and pepper to taste
- herbs and spices to taste
- 5 ml soy sauce, for frying the beef fillet slices with the onion
- 10 ml sunflower oil, for frying of the onion and beef fillet slices
In a cast iron pot add the oil and onions, salt and pepper, herbs and spices, fry the onion till golden brown.
Add the beef to onion and add soy sauce and let fry till just brown.
Add curry powder to beef and add a little hot water at a time while mixing and it forms a paste.
Add potatoes and carrots and one cup stock.
Place cast iron pot in the oven with lid on, on 180°C for 45 min.
After it has been cooked in the oven, add beans, corn and Bisto.
Let it simmer for 5 min.
After simmered, set aside to rest for at least 10 min.
Heat up the rice and add coconut cream, mix well till all the rice is well covered.
Serve the beef curry with coconut rice and enjoy!
Recipe and photo: Kristie Townsend