BEEF BOURGUIGNON (SLOW COOKER)
- 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 170 g bacon, roughly chopped
- 1.5 kg beef brisket, deboned, trimmed of fat and cut into chuncks
- 1 large carrot, roll cut
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced (divided)
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour (omit for banting/low carb/gluten free)
- 12 whole shallots (optional)
- 3 cups dry red wine
- 2 Knorr beef stock pots, dissolved in 2 cups of hot water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 300 g fresh small white or brown mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
In a large pan or skillet, sauté the bacon over medium heat in 1 tablespoon of oil for about 3 minutes, until crisp and browned. Transfer to slow cooker bowl.
Pat dry beef with paper towel, sear in batches until browned on all sides in the oil/bacon fat. Transfer to slow cooker bowl with the bacon, and add in the onion, shallots and carrots. Season with ½ teaspoon coarse salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, tossing well to combine.
Pour the red wine into a pan or skillet and allow to simmer for 4 – 5 minutes, then whisk in the flour until free from lumps. Allow to reduce and thicken slightly, then pour it into the slow cooker along with 2 cups of stock, tomato paste, garlic (4 cloves), bullion and herbs. Mix well to combine all of the ingredients. Cook on low setting for 8 hours, or until beef is falling apart and tender.
In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, prepare your mushrooms: Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet/pan over medium heat. Add the remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), then add in the mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, while shaking the pan occasionally to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Add to the Beef Bourguignon, mixing them through the sauce before serving. Garnish with fresh parley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.
Recipe and photo: Hailey Bunge