BAKED GNOCCHI WITH MUSHROOM RAGU
- glug of olive oil for frying
- 2 punnets black mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, crusted
- ½ cup vegetable stock (white wine can be used instead of stock)
- 1 can (400 g) chopped tomatoes, pureed
- salt and milled pepper
- 2 packets (500 g each) gnocchi, cooked and drained
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
Heat oil in a pan and brown whole mushrooms in batches.
Return all mushrooms to the pan, add garlic and fry for a minute or two.
Pour in stock (or wine) and reduce liquid by half.
Add tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes, then season.
Toss gnocchi through mushroom sauce and spoon into an ovenproof dish.
Dot with mozzarella and bake at 200ºC for 12 minutes or until golden.
My mushrooms was to big so I cut them in quitters.
Recipe and photo: Nicolette Papas