AMANDA’S GARAM MASALA MIX
Meng jou eie masala, soveel lekkerder.
- 2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 4 – 5 cardamom seeds
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 – 4 whole cloves
- 2 dried red chilli peppers, seeds discarded
- 2 tablespoon ground turmeric
Combine coriander, cumin, cardamom, peppercorns, fennel, mustard seeds, cloves, and red chille peppers in a small pan over medium-low heat.
Toast until fragrant, about 2 minutes. (It will burn quickly, so keep an eye on it)
Grind the toasted spices in a clean coffee grinder or spice mill to a fine powder.
Spoon in the turmeric, and process to combine.
Can be used immediately.
Here, I just add fresh chopped ginger and garlic when cooking.
Of course, if you want it a with more kick – just add a little “mother-in-law” curry powder or even cayenne pepper to your taste.
Can be stored for up to a month (I have stored mine for longer).
Recipe: Amanda Conradie
Photo: Elize de Kock