ULTIMATE SWEET POTATO SOUP
My ultimate sweet-potato soup. I spot sweet potato soup recipes daily, but this is my ultimate favourite recipe I have been using for more than 20 years. It is full of flavour and really interesting components of ingredients that just marry beautifully with each-other.
- 1 kg of sweet potatoes, peeled and diced in cubes
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cm thick piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 1 heaped teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 pitted chilli pepper-optional, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of Ina Paarman powder chicken flavour stock-it is vegan
- 1 litre of boiling water
- 1 heaped tablespoon of unsweetened marmalade
- ½ cup of roasted almond flakes
- 1 can of coconut cream, divided in 2
Heat a large saucepan and add the cumin. Let it dance around a bit. Add onions, carrots and ginger and bring it to a nice sweat. Add the rest of the ingredients besides the last 3 items on the list.
Cook for about 10 minutes on high till the sweet potatoes are tender. Turn down the heat and add marmalade and half the coconut cream. Roast the almonds in a pan, be careful they tend to brown quickly.
Blend the soup in your blender, serve with coconut cream and flaked almonds.
It is one of those amazing soups that tastes better the longer it stands.
Recipe and pictures by Pieter Kotze