RICH CARROT CAKE WITH ADDED SWEET POTATO
My best and delicious very rich carrot cake. Very rich in flavour cake, the sweet potato adds to more moist and the treacle sugar adds to quite a dark cake with a unique flavour. This is really a great carrot cake and I get a lot of compliments, every one asks for the recipe. 🥕🥕🥕
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 ½ cup Treacle brown sugar
- 2 cup grated raw sweet potatoes
- 1 cup grated apple
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons mixed spices (nutmeg/ cinnamon/ gloves) mix.
- 1 teaspoon grounded cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour two 10 inch cake pans.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the Treacle sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, bicarb soda , salt and cinnamon, and all the spices above, gently fold into the wet mixture until just mixed. Finally fold in the grated carrot, grated sweet potatoes, grated apple and crushed pineapple and the walnuts. Pour evenly into the prepared pans.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes in the preheated oven at 180°C until cake tests done when a sharp knife is inserted and comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. When completely cooled, frost with cream cheese frosting.
- 1 tub of smooth cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Beat the cream cheese till smooth, add vanilla essence and lemon juice. Fold in icing sugar till smooth and spreadable, put frosting on the cake and sprinkle extra wall nuts over.
Recipe and photo: Yvonne Jones