POUNDED LEMONGRASS CHICKEN
This aromatic Vietnamese-inspired lemongrass chicken recipe calls for pounding the breasts to a uniform thinness, which eliminates any dryness.
- 4 lemongrass stalks, tough outer layers removed, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to ½-inch thickness or thighs skin on bone in
kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- lime wedges
Process lemongrass, shallot, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes in a food processor to a fine paste. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in a resealable plastic bag. Add lemongrass mixture; chill at least 30 minutes.
Heat a little oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Remove chicken from marinade, scraping off excess, and cook until golden brown, thighs 20 minutes; breast 6 minutes.
Serve chicken with lime wedges for squeezing over.
Do Ahead: Chicken can be marinated 2 days ahead. Keep chilled.
Recipe posted by Elize de Kock
Photo: Elize de Kock