PECAN PIE BARS
- 1 1/4 cups butter
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Mix the butter and sugar until light and creamy for about 3 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time and mix well. Add the salt and baking powder and mix well. Add the flour and mix well. Spoon the mixture into a greased baking tray and make level – don’t go up the sides. Bake at 180°C for about 15 minutes until set, but not browned. Remove from oven and let it cool slughtly.
- 250 grams butter
- 1/2 cup golden syrup (150 grams)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar (300 grams)
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 500 grams pecan nuts, chopped into smaller pieces
Put the butter, syrup and brown sugar in a heavy based pot on a low heat until the butter and sugar is melted. Turn up the heat and let it boil rapidly for 3 minutes whilst stirring – do jot let it burn. Remove from heat and stir in the cream and pecan jut pieces. Spoon on tol of the base and level. Bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.
Let it cool slightly before cutting. Refrigerate until serving.
I used my rusk pan with cutter.
I got 36 bars.
Photo: Wayne Dugmore