CHICKEN, NOODLE AND VEGGIE SOUP
Lockdown day #364🇿🇦 Chicken, noodle and veggie soup with chicken sausage rolls.
- 10 chicken necks*
- 2 chicken backbones* (the piece you cut out when making a flattie)
- 1 large red onion, chopped finely
- 1 large carrot, grated coarsely
- 1 medium potato, grated coarsely
- half a cup of frozen peas
- half a tin of creamed sweet corn
- 1 square of dry noodles
- 1 packet mushroom soup powder (mixed with 1 cup of water)
Add the chicken to the inner pot and add 1 litre of water. Steam under pressure for 30 mins.
Release the pressure, open the pot and remove the chicken. Add the veggies and noodles to the liquid in the pot and steam under pressure for 4 minutes. While that is cooking, remove the bits of meat from the backbone and the necks. Discard the bones. Once the veggies are done release the pressure, open the pot and add the mushroom soup mixture and the chicken pieces to the soup and set the pot on Sauté while stirring until the soup thickens.
Serve with bread, rolls or a nice alternative is to bake shop bought chicken sausage rolls.
*I keep chicken necks in the freezer for the Huskies as well as the back bones when I cut it out to make flattie chickens. It all comes in handy to cook stock.
Recipe and photo: Elsabie Templeton